Monday, October 17, 2011

Drums, Money, and Rust.

My wife and I managed to fall victim to some of life's circumstances.  In a nutshell, I had to get an additional job. Bummer.  However, the good news is that if one would have to acquire another job, then I have quite possibly landed the best additional job possible - playing in a band.
    I used to play in a band years ago.  But the fact is I haven't touched a set of drums in 6 years. How does that even happen? How in the world do you go from playing in a band for 7 years to not even touching a set for over half a decade? I tell you how it happens. You get married and have kids - so you learn to play the acoustic guitar. That's how it happens.  Anyway, one of us had to get another job and naturally I would feel like a terd if my wife had to do it... So we began to pray about it (yes, I'm one of "those") and a few weeks later a guy approached me at a local football game and asked if I would be interested in playing the drums for his band.  He said that it would be a great way to provide some extra income if I happen to be in that type of circumstance.  At first, I thought that I may have left the baby monitor on when I was praying about the situation and somehow the audio went through his T.V.  Then I thought that probably didn't happen. Besides, I guess he probably would have began the conversation with something like, "Hey, the other day I was watching T.V. and...." but he didn't do that. Oh, and I usually don't pray out-loud while kneeling in front of the baby monitor.
    I found a guy that donated almost an entire kit for my new pursuit. That was a big deal, too.  Remember, if we were in the position to just buy some drums, we probably wouldn't be asking the Almighty for job opportunities.  I'd better wrap this story up. I wanted to see just how much I've digressed over the years, so I pulled out the camera and hit the red button... my, oh my.   I threw the kit together and started to take a few whacks and quickly realized just how much rust accumulates on a Russ over 6 years.  It's a pretty substantial amount, to say the least.   Take notice that I am wearing "ear-muffs" as I play.  The drums are just too flippin' loud - and I'm a drummer.  If that's not a sign of turning old and boring, then I don't know what is.  And please keep my 8 month in your prayers - the drums are in her room (as the video shows).

No comments:

Post a Comment